Monday, April 22, 2019

Vintage Style Cottage Flower Tag Tutorial by Cindy Bristow

Vintage Style Cottage Flower Tag Tutorial
by Cindy Bristow
 
Howdy!
 
I had taken a break from blogging and wasn't sure if I should continue until one of my Facebook followers ask if I would be doing a tutorial on some of the vintage style junk journals and embellishments I had been posting. This will be the first of many tutorials on my new endeavor.  My post will have affiliated links on where you can purchase some of the supplies that I uses, plus you can check out my Etsy store in the side bar if you would like to purchase some of the items.
 
These are the finished tags from today's tutorial.
 
 
Our first step is to gather our supplies.  You will need manila tags, coffee for staining ( I have mine in Jane Davenport daubers I purchased online at Michaels), Vintage Photo Distress Oxide ink pad, Black Licorice ink pad, vintage book pages, Paperwork stamp set,  Cottage Bouquet stamp set,
Black Twine, Coffee stained lace and ribbon, and coloring tool of choice.
 
 
The first step is to coffee stain your tags and papers.  I do this on a craft mat with the daubers I mentioned above filled with coffee.  I tend to do my coffee staining in large batches.  I gather cardstock, patterned paper, ribbon and what ever other items I think I am going to use and then die it all at one time, that way I have it on hand when I am ready to create.  I store my solid colored cardstock in one folder and all of my patterned paper in another folder.
 
After my tags are stained, I ink the edges with the Vintage photo ink pad and a sponge.
 
The image below is a plain tag to the left, a coffee stained tag in the middle, and the last tag is a coffee stained and inked with the Vintage Photo ink pad around the edges.

 
Next I pull out my black inkpad ad the ledger stamp from the Old Paperwork stamp set.  I stamped each of the tags with the same stamp.  Notice how they all look different depending on which direction I stamped.  I also used different parts of the stamp on each tag.

 
Now it is time to stamp the flowers onto the old book paper.  I used black ink to stamp with.  I also tore some of the edges.  I made sure to ink the edges with my Vintage Photo inkpad and sponge.

 
I used my Color Burst pencils to color the images.  I haven't tried Copics or other markers on the book pages because I think it would bleed through, the pages are very thin.

 
Now you get to go through your scraps of patterned paper and pick out some to go with your flowers.  Like I said in the start of this post, I coffee stain in large batches and save it in a folder.  Most of the pattern papers I used in this project where scraps that where left over from junk journals I have made.

 
After you glue your pattern paper and colored image onto the tag, it's time to embellish!  For this project, I kept it simple, a scrap of ribbon, a scrap of coffee stained lace, black twine and a button.  I tied the ribbon and the lace together with the twine and then threaded the twine through the button to secure it.  Once it was all tied together, I used craft glue to adhere it to the tag.

 
Here's the close up of the finished tag.
 
 
 
Thanks for stopping by,
Cindy
 


3 comments:

  1. Love love love your tutorials! I need to get me a dobber and get to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can use a makeup sponge or cut up a soft yellow sponge to use also

    ReplyDelete