Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Mixed Media Butterfly Box by Cindy Bristow

Mixed Media Butterfly Box
by Cindy Bristow
 
Howdy!
 
Today I want to share a 3-D project that I have been working on for quite a few days.  You saw a picture of it last week when I showed you what was on my desk.  It sat on my desk over the weekend, and part of the day Monday as a thought about what I wanted to do with it.  I still feel like it is missing something, but for now it is going onto my shelf so I can admire it.
 
 
This box started life out as a balsa wood box I grabbed from a local craft store.  I started with a base coat of gesso followed by a few different colors of Liquid Color.  After the first coat dried, I decided to add some lace that I had in my stash to the sides and the top. I painted another coat of gesso on the box and then added  Cool Pool Acrylic Paint along with some Blue Lagoon and Whip Cream paint.

 
I stamped and die cut 2 butterflies from the Small Things stamp set and added about 4 coats of Journey Glaze to  make them stiff.  I really wanted them to stand up on their own.  You can see that I glued the bodies together and kept the wings separate. 
 
Now it was time to start adding layers!  I painted a wooden flourish using the Blue Lagoon paint so that it matched the color scheme.  I pulled out some crochet flowers that I had for years and used my Lavender Fusion color splash to die them.  I love how they turned out.  I dabbed a small bit of paint onto the edges to pull the blue into them.

 
The box is finished off with a few die cuts, ribbon and pearls. 
 
Thanks for stopping by,
Cindy
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment